March 12, 2023

 Although today didn’t go quite as we had planned it, it was a wonderful adventure! The train was supposed to depart this morning around 8:00am. Unfortunately, with all the weather out west it was incredibly delayed. When I went to bed last night we learned that it was delayed until about 4:00pm. By the time we woke up this morning it was delayed until 4:45. 

We used the extra day at home to our advantage and did some cleaning and relaxed. We enjoyed a late lunch at Playa before coming home to shower and get the last minute essentials packed. 

We headed to the depot when we saw the train was in Creston. We followed the train’s progress all day on their website. 

There were between 20-30 people who got on the train in Osceola. As we waited in the depot I noticed some things that could be updated so I might make that my summer project. 

We boarded the train shortly after 6:00pm. We sat down in the coach area for a couple minutes before moving to the observation deck. The coach seats are very roomy with lots of leg space. The observation deck has tables and also seats that look out the window. There are even windows on top of the train. Shortly after getting settled Thom went down to the snack area and came back with some sandwiches, chips and cookies. The snack car was like a little concession stand. I went down and got a cheese bread which I thought was very good. The Amtrak worker gave them to us for free due to the long delay we had. We tipped him well and paid for our beverages and gummy bears. 

At the crew switch in Ottumwa we used the bathroom for the first time. It is incredibly comparable to an airplane bathroom. 

We enjoyed our snacks and played a matching game. It was so enjoyable to watch outside as the train went across the countryside. I wish we could have enjoyed more of it while it was light out. When Thom went downstairs again he purchased some playing cards so we could play. We enjoyed speed, garbage and “bologna”. 

Teddy and Thom are currently playing Nintendo switch while Rocky watches “The Greatest Showman”. I am reading my book, “It Starts With Us” but thought I should write down the day’s happenings before I forgot anything!

Daylight Savings Time has been helpful because although it is 11:00pm it feels like 10:00pm. Rocky has finished his movie since I started writing and is now laying across the bench using my coat as a blanket. I just checked in to our hotel and imagine we will get there about 1:30am. We will sleep in late and then head to the Field Museum!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March 15, 2023

March 16, 2023